Best Spanish Omelet Recipe is a quick and simple to make. The best Spanish omelet for breakfast is traditional one that has a simple recipe to follow. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe But you can also add some additional ingredients to make it taste better. Other recipes are Spanish omelet with chorizo and Spanish omelet with mint and ham. Both of them are healthy for breakfast and quick to make.
Simple things are best, so is Spanish omelet, it is locally known as ‘tortilla de patatas’. They are amazingly delicious, before going to the recipes let’s have a look on some amazing facts about Spanish omelets.
What Is a Spanish Omelet?
Omelete is one of the best-known Spanish dishes and very easy to make. It is just sliced potatoes and some chopped onions fried in oil mostly olive oil and then this is mixed with eggs and cooked to form omelet.
Spanish Omelette is eaten in every corner of Spain as tapa. It is considered as the main course on dinner table all around the Spain. It is eaten in different ways for example in a region of Spain different many omelets are stacked over each other and then on the top of them tomato sauce is poured before serving, in some areas it is also slathered with mayonnaise. Today’s tortilla is much more evolved then previous one, a lot of additional ingredients are used to make it taste better and different according to one’s choice.
Origin of This Dish
As it is like some other egg-based omelets, not everyone knows about its origin. The very first reference of this simple dish was found to be in an anonymous letter was addressed in 1817 to the court of Navarre. Poor conditions of people living in Pamplona and Ribera were stated in this letter and Best Spanish Omelet Recipe it was also mentioned that many of them made eggs cooked as tortilla with, breadcrumbs, potatoes and some other simple ingredients enough for five to six peoples.
Another famous story tells that there was an army general named, Tomás de Zumalacárregui, who invented this quick and simple dish during siege of Bilbao to feed troops. According to another story it was a poor wife made this to fed general and his troops when they visited her home and requested to be fed.
Traditional Spanish Omelet
It is served in every café of Spain throughout the country as appetizer or tapa but it can also be served a slight dinner. It is easy to transport; you can also eat it in form of sandwich between two slices of bread. You can also have it around noon as, mid-morning snack along a cup of café con leche. As an appetizer it serves eight to ten serving and six servings as main course. You can have it in your breakfast also if you want. Here is how you can make this simple traditional Spanish omelet:
|Medium potatoes (peeled)||6 – 7|
|Yellow onion (chopped)||1|
|Olive oil||2 – 3 Cups|
|Large eggs||5 – 6|
How to Make It?
Step 1: First of all, cut all the potatoes in half lengthwise and cut them into pieces of about 1/8-inch thickness. If you cut them thick then it will take some time to cook, but do not worry it would not take much of your time.
Step 2: Mix these sliced potatoes with chopped onions in a large bowl and salt the mixture.
Step 3: Take a large non sticky frying pan, pour about 1 ½ cup of olive oil and allow it to heat on medium high flame. Once the oil is heated now add the onion and potato mixture to it carefully and spread it over the surface evenly. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe To prevent the potatoes from burning turn the heat down. Fry them slowly do not make them crispy but tender a creamy. Quality of olive oil should be good because potatoes will absorb quite a bit of oil.
Step 4: Leave the mixture in pan until potatoes are cooked completely. For making sure that potatoes are cooked, poke piece of potato with spatula, if it breaks easily then your potatoes are cooked. Remove these completely cooked potatoes from pan with spatula or slotted spoon, oil should be drain. Allow this to cool.
Read also: Harmful Snacks For Your Health
Step 5: Take a large bowl and crack the eggs into it, now blend them with fork or whisk. Once they are blended completely pour the onion potato mixture into it. Mix them with a large soon and allow them to stand for about five minutes.
Step 6: Now add some to two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and allow it to heat on medium flame. Do not heat the ill too much or you will burn the pan or tortilla. When the oil is hot, pour the mixture after stirring it once. Spread the mixture over the whole surface evenly and allow it to cook along edges. Now lift up the egg and change the side, you can check if the other side is browned slightly. Inside mixture should not be cooked completely and egg will be runny still.
Step 7: When the mixture turned to be brown to the bottom, other side is ready to cook. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe Now take the frying pan near sink, place a dinner plate over there. Invert the frying pan on this plate carefully and allow the omelet to fall onto the plate.
Also Read: Five Healthiest Smoothies To Make
Step 8: Now place the pan again on the cooking range and pour some olive oil to cover the bottom and sides of pan. Allow the oil to warm for about thirty seconds.
Step 9: After the above procedure, slide the omelet to the pan and allow it to cook. Shape the sides of the omelet with spatula. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe Allow the omelet to cook for about three to four minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit in pan for two minutes.
SStep 10: Transfer omelet from pan to the plate in which you want to serve it.
step 11: If eating as a main course cut it into six to eight pieces just like pizza slices and serve it with French bread on the side.
STep 12: If you want to serve it as an appetizer then cut pieces of about 1 ½ inches and place a pieces on bread slice to serve.
Tips for Making Spanish Omelet:
If you want to try these amazing recipes for making Spanish tortillas you can follow these tips to make your omelet amazingly delicious:
- It is not necessary to cut the potatoes into thin slices; you can cut them thick but it may take some time to cook. It would be better not to use food processors as they will cut potatoes in extremely thin pieces and they will stick together.
- For determining if the oil is hot enough to fry the onion potato mixture, drop a piece of potato or bread into oil. If it sizzles, then it is ready for frying.
- Be careful about the heat supply during frying. If the oil is too hot the potatoes from inside will be still raw but from outside, they will brown rapidly.
- Once you are done with frying then put the onion potato mixture in colander so that oil inside it is drained completely. You can place a plate under colander it will catch the drained oil and you can reuse this oil.
Some Other Recipes
Some people argue that if Spain had a national dish it would be tortilla. It is just a Spain’s version of omelet. A traditional Spanish omelet only has four ingredients potatoes, onion, salt and olive oil.
But it is not necessary that you have to follow the same recipe, you can add some additional ingredients according to your taste. So here are some recipes in which some additional ingredients are present and these ingredients only enhanced the taste of this Spanish omelet:
Spanish Omelet with Mint and Ham
You can enjoy this amazing omelet recipe any time of the day. You can have it for your breakfast, Best Spanish Omelet Recipe lunch or dinner whenever you want. It is easy to make. Here is the recipe by following which you can enjoy this delicious omelet:
|Diced Sweet Onion||1|
|Peeled and Diced Medium Potatoes into Cubes||4|
|Diced Cured Ham||2 Ounces|
|Minced Garlic||2 Cloves|
|Chopped Mint Leaves||2 Teaspoons|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons|
How to Make It?
- First of all let the olive oil heat at medium heat and sauté onions in it, stir it continuously until they start gets caramelized.
- Add potatoes and about ¼ cup of water. Increase the heat and cover the pan.
- Let it be like this for about ten minutes and during this stir after every two minutes. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe After ten minutes uncover the mixture and cook the potatoes but not make them mushy. Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool.
- In a bowl beat the eggs, add salt and then add cured ham, garlic and mint.
- Blend the eggs mixture with fried onion and potato mixture. Allow it to stand for about fifteen minutes.
- Pour some olive oil into the pan and cover whole surface with it, allow it to heat, once it is heated, spread the mixture on the surface of pan. From here follow the steps mentioned in making of traditional Spanish omelet.
- You can cook it completely or keep it undercooked on inside if you want. Cut it into slices and serve.
Spanish omelet with chorizo
It is simple to make Spanish omelet with a lot of flavor with chorizo sausage slices.it is perfect for lunch. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe You can also have it if you want a light lunch or can also serve it as an appetizer. Here is the recipe of this amazingly delicious omelet;
|Spanish Chorizo Sausage||½ Pound|
|Olive Oil||3 – 4 Tablespoons|
How to Make?
- First of all, you need to cut the chorizo sausage into about ¼ inch thick slices.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of olive oil into a pan and let it warm. When it is hot enough place slices of chorizo sauce in to the pan and let them brown by turning each slice once. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe They will release fats
- When they are browned remove them in a plate and pour out excess oil and fats.
- Break the eggs into bowl, blend them and add chorizo sausage slices to this and mix.
- Pour some olive oil to the pan and when it is hot enough spread the mixture over the surface and cook it. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe When it gets brown, turn the side and cook. Cook it until the eggs are no runnier and omelet is cooked from inside.
- Remove the omelet from the pan and serve it.
How You Can You Serve?
Here are some amazing ways to serve your delicious Spanish omelet:
- You can serve it sofrito, which is a fried tomato sauce made all over in Spain. It consists of onions, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and green peppers sautéed in pan.
- You can also serve it with baguette by placing a slice lengthwise inside it.
Spanish omelet is an amazing Spanish dish. Spanish omelet, it is locally known as ‘tortilla de patatas’. Omelet is one of the best-known Spanish dishes and very easy to make. Best Spanish Omelet Recipe is just sliced potatoes and some chopped onions fried in oil mostly olive oil and then this is mixed with eggs and cooked to form omelet. Some of the amazing recipes are traditional Spanish omelet recipe, Spanish omelet with mint and ham recipe, Spanish omelet with chorizo. All of these recipes are healthy for breakfast. These recipes are not only good for breakfast but also for lunch or dinner. You can also serve them as appetizer. You can try any of them at your home and you will enjoy surely. So, after reading too much about the Spanish Omelete, i am sure, you are going to try at home.